I’ve been fortunate to find some wonderful books these past few months that I’d like to pass on. There are books for children of all ages, so check them out at your local library or find them at your local book store.
1. Picture Book: Wisdom the Midway Albatross by Darcy Pattison tells the amazing true story of a 60 year old + bird who survived storms, tsunamis, and shark attacks that wiped out other birds. This story is uplifting and a wonder for all ages.
2. Picture Book: Inside the Slidy Diner by Laurel Snyder is a part funny/part spooky look at what goes on inside a diner that keeps you captive and won’t let you get away. Are you brave enough to pay a visit?
3. Middle Grade: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate won the Newbery Medal for 2012. It’s a beautiful story told from the point of view of a silver back gorilla who lives at a roadside attraction theme park. Ivan is unforgettable and this book is worthy of the Newbery honor.
4. Middle Grade: Goblin Secrets by William Alexander tells the story of orphan children being raised by a witch who casts evil spells and tries to get the children to do her bidding. It’s a land where make believe and pretending are against the law and if you wear a mask…your life could be in danger.
5. Young Adult: Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger is a steam-punk novel that takes place at a girl’s finishing school. What you learn has just as much to do with self-defense, and spying as it does with learning a proper curtsy. A very entertaining read.