Those of us fortunate enough to have enough resources to provide for our children, may wonder what we can do to help other children in need. And, we may also wish to tech our children the joy that comes from helping others…especially other children. Here are some simple ways we can do that:
1. KaBOOM! http://www.kaboom.org is a non-profit organization that builds playgrounds in areas where there is a need. Their goal is to ensure that all children are within walking distance to a playground. So far they’ve built 2,300 playgrounds nationwide.
2. A $25.00 donation to PROJECT NIGHT NIGHT will provide a tote bag filled with a blanket, children’s book and stuffed animal for a homeless child. http://www.projectnightnight.org http://www.pajamaprogram.org provides a book and warm pj’s to children in need.
3. Tutor a child who struggles with reading with a twice weekly, 45 minute tutoring session. Contact http://www.readingpartners.org for more information.
4. By purchasing a $10.00 gift card from http://www.shoesthatfit.org or from the show department at Nordstom’s, you assist Shoes That Fit in providing athletic shoes for children in need.
5. Make quilts or help collect and distribute them to children in shelters, hospitals, or social service agencies nationwide through PROJECT LINUS. For more information: http://www.projectlinus.org
There are many ways you and your family can help a child in need. I’d love to hear some of the things you do. Please share your ideas in the comments section.