Reading to the very young is fun, but challenging. Here are twelve tips for capturing and keeping the attention and interest of very young audiences at picture book author events.
BEFORE THE STORY:
- Have the children gather around you – close up.
- Begin with a focusing activity, such as a song or clapping response game.
- Briefly tell a little bit about who you are, your inspiration for story etc. in a playful, kid-friendly way. (Optional: Bring a long a couple of props to help with this. I bring puppets, for example.)
DURING THE STORY:
4. Be animated and excited. Read with expression.
5. Make eye contact. Remember, you aren’t just reading, you are interacting with your readers.
6. Before turning each page, be sure to hold the book up and pan it around the room slowly so everyone has a chance to enjoy the illustration.
7. Involve the children in the storytelling. (By using body motions…
View original post 116 more words