Feel like summer is slipping away? Haven’t had a chance to do something unique and fun? There’s still plenty of summer left to enjoy a weekend road trip to one of the numerous HALLS OF FAME found in just about every state in the USA. Here are a few to sample:
- National Toy Hall of Fame in Rochester NY will have something for everyone from grandparents to toddlers. Find the Easy-Bake Oven, View-Master, Star Wars Figures and many more. There are interactive displays and hands on exhibits as well. http://www.museumofplay.com
2. Robot Hall of Fame in Pittsburgh, PA lets you test your skills in air hockey and basketball against a robot. You also get a behind the scenes look at the making of “famous” robot friends such as WALL-E, and C-3PO. Robotics fans will have a blast. http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org
3. The Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, WI combines art and appreciation. Next to stats on world record catches for more than 125 species of fish, there are antique lures and a 145 ft muskie – the world’s largest glass sculpture.
4. National Inventors Hall of Fame, Alexandria, VA: Interactive displays and a gallery of over 500 inventors from the US Patent and Trademark Office celebrate the minds behind the landmark creations of everyday items we now take for granted. http://www.invent.org
5. National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame, Fort Worth, TX: Here you can ride a mechanical bucking bronco, meet the ghost of sharpshooter Annie Oakley, and pose for a western movie poster. This museum celebrates the women who defined and settled the west. http://www.cowgirl.net
6. World Kite Museum and Hall of Fame, Long Beach, WA: You will find a display of the history of this popular past time and art form. There are over 1,500 kites from 26 countries including a 200 ft long dragon kite. Note: The museum will hold it’s kite festival on August 12-14, 2016. Check the website for details: http://www.kitefestival.com
This is just a sampling of the many Halls of Fame Museums. Chances are, if there is a sport, past time, hobby, or interest, there is probably a HALL OF FAME celebrating it.
What Halls of Fame have you visited? Let us know which ones are trip worthy. Happy travels.