Want you and your family to have healthier, sharper, and better-functioning brains? It is easier than you might think. There is a lot you can do to improve brain health by following some science-based tips. I am posting several today and will have more at the end of the month.
- Learning a foreign language helps your brain process information better and focus more sharply. Try Apple’s iPhone app Duolingo to learn Spanish, French, German, Italian, Swedish or several other languages.
- If you want to remember items from a list or details from notes, write them in RED. Studies have shown that the color red “fixes” itself on our memory better than other colors.
- To improve attention and concentration, TRY PING PONG.
- To help recall details of an event, CLOSE YOUR EYES. When visual distractions are removed, your brain focuses more efficiently.
- Eat fish and avocados. Both improve brain function by reducing inflammation. A handful of nuts such as walnuts, almonds, peanuts also help improve cognition.
- Try new things and see new sights. New experiences give the brain exercise like a new muscle.
- Coloring eases stress and puts your brain in meditation mode. Any activity that calms the body, restores the brain. There are numerous coloring books for kids and adults of all ages.
- GET UP AND MOVE! Aerobic exercise actually increases the size of your hippocampus – the part of the brain involved in learning and remembering. Put on a record and dance, take a Zumba class, go jogging, or jump on a trampoline. It’s all good for the brain.
- Do something with your non-dominate hand. Brushing teeth, writing your name, unscrewing the lid of a jar. By using your “other” hand, you challenge the brain to perform the activity and fire new synapses while doing it.