On January 20th I mentioned several ways yo can improve your brain function. Here are several more.
- Get a good night’s SLEEP: Good sleep is the best thing you can do for your brain long term says Henry Emmons, MD author of STAYING SHARP (Touchstone). Be sure your children get enough rest as well. The National Sleep Foundation recommends 7-9 hours for ages 18-64 and 7-8 hours for ages 65 and up. Children need at least 7-9 hours of sleep as well.
- Surf…the Internet: Searching for information on the web improves neural circuitry.
- Hang out with Friends and Family. Social connections improve brain health.
- Get lots of B Vitamins: B vitamins lower homocysteine – an amino acid linked to dementia. You can find B vitamins in whole grain breads, pasta, cereals and rice. It’s also found in poultry, leafy greens, papayas, beans, oranges and cantaloupe. MAKE A SALAD WITH MIXED GREENS, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, CHICK PEAS OR OTHER BEANS, ORANGE SLICES AND DICED CHICKEN for a vitamin B packed meal.
- Be OPTIMISTIC: Positive thinking activates your brains ability to adapt and change.