With the recent news about efforts to haul away the mammoth pile of floating garbage in the Pacific Ocean, some of us may wonder how we can possibly make a difference and help keep our earth and environment healthy. So many things we might do seem feeble and often futile.
I’m here to say that EVERYONE can do something – no matter how small – to reduce the impact we have on planet earth. Today I begin a series of SIMPLE STEPS you can incorporate into your life to help keep our earth home healthy.
- Bring your own bags to the grocery store and reduce use of disposable plastic bags.
- Buy local to reduce consumption of fossil fuels.
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Install low-flow shower heads and take shorter showers.
- Use a water filter pitcher or install one on your sink to refill water bottles.
- Instead of driving, ride a bike for short distances. or take a train or bus to work.
- Don’t let the sink faucet run when you wash dishes or brush your teeth.
- Unplug electronics when you’re not using them.
- Wash clothes in cold water. Today’s detergents clean just as well in cold water.
- Line dry clothes if and when possible.
There are MANY more ways to go green. I’ll share them in coming weeks. Got any favorite earth-friendly tips of your own you’d like to share?