This easy and tasty recipe for sugar cookies is one of FOUR found in my MG historical WHEELS OF CHANGE. You can make the dough ahead and roll it out when ready. Break out the cookie cutters and gather the kids around for an old-fashioned taste of home.
1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cream the butter, then gradually add the sugar, beating until light.
3. Add the egg, vanilla, and cream or milk, and beat thoroughly.
4. Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder together, add to the first mixture, and blend well. Mix until a soft dough forms. Refrigerate dough for at least 4 hours or overnight.
5. Roll dough onto lightly floured surface until 1/8 inch thick. Use your favorite cookie cutters to make the shapes. You can use the rim of a glass for circular shaped cookies. You can also sprinkle colored sugars or cinnamon on the dough before baking.
6. Arrange on cookie sheets 1 inch apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.