As your children head back to another school year, we parents might wonder how we can support teachers and which programs are worthy of attention and support. Here are 5 to think about:
1. GIRLS WHO CODE: Men outnumber women in the fields of science, technology, math and engineering. This organization hopes to change that by partnering with Google and other tech companies to launch coding clubs for female teens across the country. Contribute at: http://www.girlswhocode.com
2. School Supplies: For every YOOBI brand pencil set, notebook or other school item purchased at TARGET, or at http://www.yoobi.com another will be donated to a classroom in need.
3. Sign a petition to encourage teaching handwriting in schools by going to: http://www.bicfightforyourwrite.com and BIC will donate a pen or pencil to Adopt A Classroom.
4. Dine Out: For the entire month of September, eat at one of thousands of restaurants nationwide to get meal discounts and help raise money to wend childhood hunger. Visit: http://www.nokidhungry.org for participating restaurants.
5. Used Books: If you donate or buy used books and textbooks at http://www.betterworldbooks.com a portion of the funds raised will go to literacy programs around the globe.
Make the school year count for those less fortunate and have a great year!