On my early summer trip to the American Library Association (ALA) Convention in San Fransisco, I was thrilled to meet some of my favorite authors and to get signed copies of some great books. Here are five picture books I highly recommend from some of my favorite authors.
- WHERE ARE MY BOOKS? by Debbie Redpath Ohi (Simon and Schuster): Spencer loves his books. Spencer ADORES his books. Spencer can’t find his books! They are disappearing from his shelves and soon they’ll all be gone. What’s going on? Young readers will be delighted to help Spencer solve the mystery of his disappearing books in this engaging PB.
2. SEAVER THE WEAVER by Paul Czajak is the latest book from the author of the popular MONSTER NEEDS Series published by Mighty Media Kids. Seaver is a spider. But not an ordinary spider. His webs are extraordinary, marvelous and wonders to behold. This is a delightful tale of how being different is something to be celebrated.
3. GOODNIGHT, MANGER (Zonderkidz) is the second book from author Laura Sassi, following on the popular GOODNIGHT, ARK published in 2014. Like ARK, MANGER is a beautifully written and tender story that is perfect for bedtime reading. As baby Jesus tries to sleep in a manger full of livestock and visitors who come to see him, what will his parents do to quiet the excited crowd? How will they get their baby to sleep?
4. LAND SHARK by Beth Ferry (Chronicle Books) is the second book for the author of the New York Times Bestseller STICK AND STONE (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt). Bobby has only one wish for his birthday: To get a pet shark. He leaves hints all over his house so his parents will know. Bobby is sure he has a fool proof plan. Until his birthday arrives and he gets a…puppy? Can this shark-loving boy learn to love a land critter? This is a perfect book for kids to sink their teeth into!
5. THIS ORQ (Boyds Mills Press) by David Elliott is a hilarious “prehistoric” tale of a cave boy and his woolly mammoth friend who have to deal with a couple of bullies. The whimsical and humorous illustrations by Lori Nichols add to the fun. From the book jacket: “Orq and Woma best friends. Dorq and Caba mean. Story BIG.” A guaranteed delight!
Next time you’re at the library or bookstore, why not check out some of these great books?!
I’ve only read the first one; will have to find the others!
What fun to find GOODNIGHT, MANGER made your list! I want to head to the bookstore and check out your other new release recommendations. Happy reading!
They’re all such entertaining and fun books! So glad I was able to get a copy of yours Laura.